9.1.11

"This Year's going to be as easy as 1, 2, 3, 4!" By Poet Elona Wells

I, like many unfortunates, spun the wheel of fate and came up short for 2010. I'm hesitant to think it was Karma giving me a kick up the backside because I do try to be a good person - kind, honest, considerate etc. So I have to assume that either 2010 was just jinxed from the start or (in a more glass half full view of the world) that I am due an awesome 2011....and I don't think I'm only one! I am currently taking a much needed rest from my second (and much more loved) job of working at Berwick Museum and Art Gallery and am trying to find ways to get this new year kicked off to a more exciting, positive and promising start. I've decided that the best approach is to bombard my senses with all things creative. So! Here goes...

To start my personal New Year, with the idea of starting as I mean to go on, I have haphazardly found myself following a few simple steps. I'd like to say it was all part of an ingenious plan to feel happier about turning the very ancient age of 27 on the 2nd January but unfortunately I'm just not that clever or that organised. Instead I simply started off in a very good mood and tried to keep myself that way.

Step one: Fun 
I spent a day being a kid again. Yes its a simple concept and yes I do probably act like a kid throughout most of my 9 till 5 days (and beyond) but it is still one of the most fantastically fun and freeing things in the world. I spent a day with two of my nieces (one is 5 years and the other is 8). We played with a magical moulding marvel known as Moonsand, building castles and decorating princesses. We designed jewel covered compact mirrors and handbags, watched animated movies and painted our faces with lots of pretty colours. I also rode around the kitchen on a purple scooter (at which point my 13 year old nephew laughed and told me that my balance was rubbish)...... Now that I think about it, that was quite possibly the girliest day of my life! 

Step Two: Treats
I of course went shopping! Now what, you may ask, can a girl on a budget who has a fear of clothes shopping (due to the recent consumption of her own weight in holiday food delights) possibly buy in the January sales??? Well I shocked myself and delighted my bank balance by treating myself (and my non-boyfriend boyfriend... its complicated!) to a £3 suspender belt and £2 silk stockings! And yes, I must say that even with my plus size curves and many many confidence issues mucho fun was had.

Step Three: Art
We all need a little culture, heritage and art in our lives. From making a boring day at the office fun by sending your colleagues smiley faces in an email to recreating a master piece in oil paints (like my super cool 80 year old -technologically way more advanced than me - granddad did recently). I decided to try out a little arts and crafts by using recycled paper carrier bags, images from old magazines and a few Xmas gift wrapping scraps. I made me some pretty nifty looking scrap books to give to friends. You can personalise them to your hearts content. Use it as a keep sake for things like photos, love letters, gig or festival tickets, bus tickets and all the other useless stuff we like to hold on to for trips down memory lane. There are plenty of websites online for top tips on how to make useful or fun things out of everyday household items and this isn't just for the ladies - boys... think Valentines day!

Step Four: Music
Here is a little ''verse'' I wrote one night while trying to drift off to the land of make believe and scantily clad men (OK so to be honest my dreams aren't particularly sheksy but imagination is a fun thing)!....

This music and lyrics drifts across the void to reach me
Reverberates up my spine to heal my pain
I only feel rhythm through my vein
No more darkness in this hollow night
No more pain to fill this fractured sight
This music and lyrics stills my heart
I only feel the beat beneath these stars

Although I'm no a huge follower of bands and artists and couldn't give you an A-Z list of DJs names or a top 10 guide to the most influential bands of the decade, I do think music plays a huge part in our lives. People don't really realise how much it features in everyday life. The world has a soundtrack and we are just so used to hearing it in the peripheral that we neglect to truly listen. 

I enjoy most types of music and can fall asleep happy and contented to the sound of a guitar. I like artists who have soulful, gravelly or unusual voices or whose accents come through in their singing. I currently live in the very lovely but ridiculously Arctic-like Newcastle upon Tyne and little by little I am embracing Geordie spirit. Below is a link for a Geordie rap artist. He writes his own raps and songs and plays the piano and is self-taught . I am not the biggest fan of rap but I love how this artist has stayed true to his culture and upbringing and has found a way to express himself and do what he loves regardless. I believe we can all benefit from the inspiration of others such as people like this artist and hopefully embrace our own passions and loves and find ways to express ourselves in 2011.

Chris 4sit-Get Up Song Written And Produced By Chris 4sit © 2010 www.facebook.com/chris4sit Video Directed By Jack Mcshane©
Written by Poet Elona Wells
Related Posts with Thumbnails